In what could best be called the mother of all deals and has the potential to restructure the entertainment business globally, Walt Disney Co. agreed to buy Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox Inc. for about $52.4 billion in stock. Closer home, in India, this meant that Murdoch-owned Star India’s businesses, including around 50 entertainment channels and 10 sports channels would be absorbed by Disney along with its digital streaming platform Hotstar. While this assimilation would take some months, Disney stands to gains substantially from this deal, gaining access to Star TV’s well-established audience and extensive content, while also getting a firm foothold into the sports domain, where Star TV has made its presence felt very strongly over the years. Disney would also acquire Star’s stake in direct-to-home platform Tata Sky in India.
- Camera Corps to promote advances in speciality camera systems at IBC, 2018
- Accedo delivers solutions to re-invent video experience at IBC
- GatesAir and Sonotec helps ATB Bolivia transit to digital TV
- Singapore’s AIMS Productions chooses Riedel MediorNet for Resorts World Sentosa project
- Pebble Beach Systems to demonstrate integration with Singular.Live on its Orca platform, at IBC, 2018