The worldwide pay TV market grew at a steady rate of four percent in 2014 to reach 923.5 million subscribers according to a recent study by ABI Research. “Worldwide the pay TV market generated $257 billion in 2014 and is expected to surpass 1.1 billion subscribers in 2020 with a CAGR 2.7 per cent,” said Jake Saunders, VP, ABI Research. Cable and terrestrial TV markets had weaker growth rates in 2014 compared to satellite and IPTV platforms. However, HD penetration is increasing across all pay TV platforms because of the increasing number of HD channels added by operators. Pay TV operators are also moving towards 4K or Ultra HD service. “Pay TV operators are now moving towards 4K or Ultra HD service,”said Saunders while adding that online videostreaming services such as Netflix and Amazon also started to offer 4K content in late 2014. When content availability and 4K TV penetration, 4K services are likely to become a differentiator for pay TV service.
- Custom Consoles reports demand in broadcast control rooms and edit suites
- Yasmina AZELMAD joins FranceTV Publicité Group as International MD
- At SVG Summit, VITEC shows IPTV and Digital Signage Solution for sports venues
- SMPTE 2018 Annual Conference and Exhibition spells success at Los Angeles
- Vettri Theatres first to deploy Christie CP4325-RGB RealLaser cinema projector